Wednesday, July 23, 2003

I Seem to be a Bucky Head



I admit it. I'm a "bucky head".

I've been a fan of Buckminster Fuller ever since my eyes have caught a glimpse of a geodesic dome. The man is a genius.

He is an architect and an engineer but he probably wants to be called an inventor more than anything else.

Along with the more well known "hats" that he wears, R. Buckminster Fuller was actually also a very proficient book writer during his time. One of the books that is most interesting is one he did with Jerome Agel & Quentin Fiore in 1970. The book is entitled "I Seem to be a Verb".

It is a collection of quotations printed in black and green inks. Each page is divided by two texts, one running front to back, the other vice versa. Illustrated all throughout with various photographs, drawings, cartoons, etc.

One of the quotations that most stood out, not only because it was used in a "Starman" comic book by DC Comics but because it gives so much insight into the man who is fondly called "Bucky", is this one:

"When there was not enough whale oil or coal oil, there were not enough lamps to go around. Some said that what was needed was social engineering, to move more people to the lamplight available. What was really needed was one Edison."

And of course there is the one quotation where the title of the book came from:

"I live on Earth at present, and I don't know what I am. I know that I am not a category. I am not a thing -- a noun. I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process -- an integral function of the universe."

There are a lot more interesting insights and other things that will tickle the mind in his book of quotations. It is a must read for people who just like a good read, bucky head or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home