Monday, June 21, 2004

board exam aftermath

So I took the architecture licensure exams last week. Now what? Now, we wait. And good things come to those who wait. Or not.

A lot of people have a lot to say about the board exams, so I’m not even going to go there. (Okay, maybe I’ll sprinkle in a little of my views here & there.) My main concern is getting through the next few weeks of prolonged agony, known as THE WAIT.

As I type, there are close to a thousand examinees who are anxiously scanning the dailies for any hint of an early report. But, as we all know, we always get hit when we least expect it. So maybe not ALL applicants / examinees are anxious. Some are writing posts about other people’s tension. (Guilty as charged!) But most would be mulling over the exam questions, the design problem, and the X number of sheets they were able to produce in 11 hours. Some would be researching on answers. Others would be comparing notes. “Ano sagot mo sa utilities, yun eklat eklat blah blah blah… C pinili ko. Kaw? Ha? Hindi ba ano yun?” But even those kind of distractions run out… so what do you do in the meantime? Eat. Sleep. Do whatever it is you usually did before you took the exams. Look for a job. Go back to work. Or, if you can afford it (which I know many can't), go on vacation. Take a trip. Just don’t dwell on the past.

On top of it all, keep in mind that you did the best you could, given such heinous circumstances. If it were up to me, all of us who took the exam should be given medals of valor. Everyone I saw had that “last man standing” attitude. (They’re not going to take us alive!!!) And with all the planted landmines and thrown grenades and time bombs we were subjected to during the course of 72 hours (not counting the supposed 24-hour hiatus, which was spent replenishing ammo) – we should be considered heroes. To go into rooms armed only with Number Two pencils, a calculator (which, incidentally, does little to help, programmable or otherwise) and black ballpoint pens, taking unexpected hit after unexpected hit. At the end of the ordeal, everyone felt that they were pretty much done for. But, dear examinees, remember: the wisdom of men does not compare to the wisdom of God. Therefore do not feel that you are the only inadequate architect wannabe walking the face of the earth. Because, in truth, everyone is. Others are just delusional.

Think not of the exam results, and if you had done all you can to prepare for it. Because you probably did prepare enough, and, in all honesty, there is no way you could have done better, save for getting contraband reviewers (read: LEAKAGE) or becoming psychic. If you fail, well, then it’s just further proof that the exam does not properly gauge one’s abilities to become a competent professional. That much I know, and believe with all my heart. So if I fail, I comfort myself in the knowledge that eighty percent of the people who speak to me about the board exam expect me to top it, in one way or another. And all of them expect me to pass “with flying colors”. Apparently, the board of architecture, who do not know me personally, how I work, how I think, and how I go about my personal business, are more in a position to judge my architectural competency than my office colleagues, my classmates, my bosses, my professors, my family or my friends. Do you really think I’d fall for that kind of logic? Would you???

4 Comments:

At 11:19 AM, Blogger ben tumbling said...

Pon, what happened to your comments? They're all gone! Sayang. You and Mr. Anonymous were raising pretty good issues. I was wanting to comment about improving the grammar of the board exam questions at least like you said. It may seem trivial but I think it's important we do that to stay globally competitive. Architecture is a global game now wether we like it or not.
On the other hand, having the choice to take the board exam in Filipino or any other major language in the Philippines (like Bisaya?) would be great too. We also need to think locally as well.
I agree that we should look into creating test centers outside metromanila as well. People in far places in Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao are always at a disadvantage as was said which is very true. They usually spend more needing travel and accomodations on top of exam fees and review costs as well as being far away from their support group (family, friends, etc.).
Reforms are definitely in order.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger super inday said...

ah mr / ms anonymous, i think you misconstrued my comment regarding the aptness of the board exam as a measuring device. not to refute you, but i did NOT say everyone should pass the board. DID I SAY ANY SUCH THING in my post? all i said was i feel the exam tends to ask impertinent questions. if i am inarticulate in expressing my thoughts, i am sorry. perhaps i was too verbose, or my choice of words was inappropriate. still, i am very much open to other people's comments. and sorry for deleting the previous post!! truly truly =) oh, and mr / ms anonymous, please refrain from using such antagonistic overtones in your comments. they do little to help promote open communication lines. if you get my drift.

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger ben tumbling said...

Fongi, you didn't say it (that everyone should pass) but it did seem like that's what you implied as Anonymous pointed out. hahaha
All views from anyone and everyone is welcome and should be welcome as long as they respect other people. As to views, it's a free-for-all.
I believe in freedom of expression. I may not agree with some people's views but I will fight for their right to express it.
I do agree though that we can at least try to be less negative/ adversarial about communicating our views. Making an atmosphere of negativity would only turn off people from commenting.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger super inday said...

ano nga ba ang mga lumang comments? di ko nabasa eh... sorry po. basta kapag board exam ang isyu, maraming talagang pwedeng pag-usapan. enlighten me =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home